Sunday 28 August 2011

The Promise of Good Things to Come for Rotherham Arts + Whitby + News and Gigs in Week Ahead


It’s been a bit of an interesting week.   

The week started with the Masher, dead on his feet and recovering from his weekend in Worcester managed to catch a bus and head into Town for Nellie Folk at The Bridge in Rotherham. 





An ego rush photo of The Masher at Nellie Folk.

Given that it was Whitby Folk Week the turnout was great for August, which might have something to do with the gathering not clashing with the Bank Holiday as it has done in past years.

It turned out to be a fascinating evening of music and poetry, managed, with typical enthusiasm by Roy Blackman, when we could find him.

Good to see Jimmy Saville once again making an appearance.

With most folks away at Whitby it’s given me a chance to update a few of the Web Site pages.   The South Yorkshire Folk page has been updated with the Autumn Programme, Pete has put together a typically interesting programme.   Check it out HERE

As I’m sure you’ll know, Acoustic Rotherham celebrates it’s third Birthday on the 30th October 2011, and I think we’ve together a really interesting afternoon of varied music.   It should be great fun and in the main very noisy.  Check out the line up HERE

The very final CDs have been put onto Dickie’s Sale Off Page HERE  

The October Diary Page is LIVE and beginning to take shape HERE

The week ended on a real high.   Those who know the Masher might appreciate that he is a bit cynical about Committees and the like mainly because they often turn into talking shops, taking on more significance the job that they are formed to do.   So it was in reserved judgement mode that he went along to a meeting organised by Gav Roberts of the Poetry Group who was trying to pull together all the various performing arts Groups / Clubs to encourage mutual Promotions etc.   

I have to say that by the end of the meeting my cynicism had turned to positive encouragement.   It was good to see so many Groups coming together, and share in Gav’s enthusiasm and ideas.  

One negative for me was once again to see that the musical side of the Arts being under represented, namely only myself and Roy Blackman – and some might argue that is pushing the label music a bit. 

That said the wealth of ideas, from joint ventures to individual interest Group Development was mind boggling, and best of all coming in behind these ideas was the practical advice and support from experienced Administrators in the Arts area, mainly in the form of Rotherham Culture. 

I’ve added a link to The Rotherham Culture Web Site HERE on our Resource Page.   

Rotherham Culture is something I knew nothing about until Friday night, and they appear to be behind this year’s Month long Rotherham Open Arts Festival in November.    However the range of services they offer is fantastic and can be of great help to those of us involved in our little Worlds within the Arts.   

The main decision from what is clearly an inaugural meeting is that a half day Festival celebrating the creative grass roots within the arts in Rotherham on Saturday 19th November 2011.  

I really look forward to further developments from this Group, as I feel that between us, by networking and cross fertilisation of audiences generate new audiences for the Arts in Rotherham.  

My congratulations to Gav for having triggered more in couple of weeks than some of us who have been bleating away within our own interest groups have done in years.  

My week ended by being dragged by Mrs Masher screaming and yelling to Rawmarsh Trades and Labour Club for a Saturday night.  Of course I would have much preferred to have been at The Bridge where Papa Legbas were doing their bum wriggling thing. 
 
Instead I was surprisingly royally entertained by a band from Newcastle “Stone Idol s“ .  They certainly rocked the Club with their covers of popular Heavy Metal – Soft Rock classics.  I was particularly impressed with their Heavy Metal arrangement of an Abba Song, so well done that Mrs Masher stayed in her seat rather than running for cover which is her normal reaction to an Abba number.
  
You can find out more about this Band HERE

Just one negative, you need to sort the encore songs out.   To hold the Club until you leave the stage you need to do something really well known and popular.

As if to emphasise this cross fertilisation of audiences that I talked about earlier don’t forget to buy your tickets for the FOF production of Billy Liar which is being put on at the Sheffield Library Theatre on 2nd and 3rd of September.  You can buy tickets from as little as £2.50.   You can find them available behind the Bar at The Bridge or from the Sheffield Library Theatre direct.   Full details by clicking the link on the September Diary Page HERE

September looks a busy month, with loads of great music available, this week being no exception starting with the Chapeltown Bank Holiday Festival and session on Monday, starts around 12:00.  At the end of the week we have the Wakefield Folk Festival, Madfest at Elsicar, and Art In the Gardens in Sheffield, + Swansong kicking it out at The Yellow Lion Greasborough on Saturday night.  And it being the first Friday in the Month you’ll find the crew coming together at The Rutland Arms in Sheffield for the Play On session.  You can find it all HERE

Well, I failed.  I have still not found anyone who went to the Fakefestival at Clifton Park Rotherham last Saturday.  Someone was there as the Bands were all thanking their supporters for turning out, but the Facebook page carried nothing from Joe average punter.  So I really can’t give you what I hoped, a reflection upon the event.  Hopefully next year I’ll be able to get along myself and take a look at the overall experience myself. 

However, fanfare, thanks to my old mate David Paskell who has sent in his reflections on Whitby Folk Week – and here they are…………………………………. 

A short overview of my four days at the Whitby folk week.

I write this after my run in with the folk police, I did manage to get back to Sheffield in on piece , but was sentenced to three years of sea shanties sessions for impersonating a folkie!

Joking aside its my sixth visit to the Whitby folk week, a friendly coastal town with the best fish and chips quite frankly anywhere.

Nicked this picture of Sarah famed as a String Theory member and Leader of the Barnsley Folk Club palying at one of the Whitby sessions

So now on to the festival its self, reading the programme the sheer amount of events is staggering gigs ,sessions and workshops galore. I headed up to Whitby on the Friday night and spent time in the station hotel which had a sing around session on. The festival’s official events did not start until Saturday, so I had a few pints and a early night.

Saturday a warm day with very fine weather, I went around to various sessions including ones at the middle earth .This is where I saw my friends the Workshy profit’s leading a livingly tune session.

Popped into the fleece briefly to a another lively session,.

I wanted to see Ray Hearne at the rifle club room but sadly it was a full house. I then went off to the ship for another music session which was a mix of tunes and songs ,having been up early that morning I started to get really sleepy and headed for my tent around 10.30.

Sunday was very much like the Saturday with baking hot sunshine and a packed Whitby playing host to Morris sides performing and buskers who were doing songs as people walked about. 

Once again I went down to the middle earth for a lively music session of mostly songs ,which had a few people from the Sheffield folk scene in attendance!!!!!

Not strictly a folk session as such but outside people were singing and playing various instruments ,fiddles banjos, mandolins, and doing a wide range of tunes and songs, After a fair few ciders, I popped up to The Endeavour and was entertained by some of the official performers with sea shanties and trad tunes a plenty ,after which I headed back to my tent.

Monday another fine day I went to various sessions for short periods of time, lots of things to see and do, lots of Morris sides and more buskers to entertain the crowds.

I saved my self for an evening concert at the rifle club concert hall the only people on I wanted to see being honest here was The Workshy profits ,however everyone on the bill was of consistently high standard and I am glad I saw everyone on ! You may want to checked out the following Pete Sheppard, Alison Macmorland and George McIntyre ,Hannah James and Sam Sweeny ,the Workshy profits and the Wilson’s and that was my last night .

Tuesday Morning and sadly its time to head back to Sheffield but you can rest assure that next year I the terror of the folk police will once again be Whitby bound to celebrate our living tradition.

David Paskell

Thanks Dave for that much appreciated, it just gives us all a flavour of this year’s event and maybe prompt some of us to head East in 2012.

If others would like to add their five penny worth with Reviews or comments about their Whitby or any other Festival experience please forward to me for inclusion in the Blog or add as a comment to the Blog.  

It’s an OPEN INVITATION.  

So that’s it for another week – whatever you’re doing this week have great fun and KEEP IT LIVE

No comments:

Post a Comment